Wednesday, October 16, 2013

A Response to A Response Based Approach to Reading Literature

Loved this article. For me books and reading has always been about taking the words written by the author and finding my own meaning and purpose. I have had classes that have taken the approach of teaching classic lit and giving a traditional interpretation that has been used for years in the classroom. But for me and teaching lit I feel that it is important to allow kids to develop their own interpretations of  the text. 

I really appreciated the introduction to
SUPPORTING THE LITERARY EXPERIENCE:
THE FOCUS OF INSTRUCTION


The thought-provoking literature class is an environment where students
are encouraged to negotiate their own meanings by exploring possibilities,
consider understandings from multiple perspectives, sharpen their own
interpretations, and learn about features of literary style and analysis through the
insights of their own responses. Responses are based as much on readers' own
personal and cultural experiences as on the particular text and its author. 

To me this will allow the student to get the fullest opportunity to not only learn but to develop a manner of thought that will benefit them in years to come. 

No comments:

Post a Comment