Monday, October 14, 2013

Social Justice - My take

So when I started this assignment I had in mind my own idea of social justice, one from the point of view of  a former military combat soldier, a father and someone who believes in standing up for the little guy. I looked around quite a bit trying to find a very impartial view of Social Justice and it seems that everything that I found was either from the right wing or left wing political party. Here is the funny thing though, the basis of their definition was pretty close.
"Social Justice is teaching kids to question whoever happens to hold the reins of power at a particular moment. It is about seeing yourself not just as a consumer of information, but as an actor-critic"(Bill Bigelow Rethinking Columbus"

From the conservative voice "social justice teaching is shorthand of opposition to American traditions of individual justice and free market economics, it teaches students that American society is an inherently oppressive society that is systemically racist, sexist and classist and thus discriminates institutionally against women, nonwhites, working Americans and the poor."

The more I read about what different people considered social justice and their extreme views it made me feel that in my classroom I want to teach my own version of social justice. My definition is as follows: Social Justice is the ability for one man to look at the wrong and right of what is going on without looking at differences in race, color, sexual identity or religion, and make the best decision that will benefit all and attempt to exclude or alienate none"

This may seem kind of a rose color view but in my experience and my beliefs you teach young men and women to be fair, be honest and not judgmental to one another, For young men being a gentlemen is proper and young women should learn to be a lady, We are never all going to get along but if you can find a common ground you will be able to find a way to make thing work.

No comments:

Post a Comment