Wednesday, June 26, 2013

A time in my life when I had magical powers. ....

For those who read my blog I will be doing our morning writing prompts on here just to get my thoughts out and to practice my writing style.

When I left for Iraq in 2006 my son was not quite 4 years old. It was a whole new feeling for me to be leaving my family and heading into a dangerous situation knowing that there were those at home who depended on me. For my son he was proud to tell everyone that his dad was a soldier and was going off to fight for freedom and help those who were hurting. In his eyes I was invincible and stronger than any hero out there. For nine long months I left my family behind and struggled everyday with the emotions that flowed through my body. When I got the chance to call home and talk with my wife and son, Colton would always tell me how proud he was of me and wanted to know about all the people I was helping and about the bad guys we were getting rid of. At one point I had come back after being out on mission for quite a while and when I got back to base I sat down in front of a video camera and read a story to my son so I could send it to him and he could see me and hear my voice. Apparently I was so exhausted that three or four times during the story I nodded off.  Colton would tell his mom that daddy must be tired from helping all the people in Iraq and he just needed to recharge for a few minutes before finishing. I had made my son a promise that I would come home safe and sound to make sure that he would grow up to be a good man and that I would be there for him because he was the most important person in my life along with his mom. Colton told me that he knew I would be ok and wasn't worried about me being hurt because I was his dad and nothing could hurt me and I was going to be able to help all those people that were living in a bad place get better and have good lives. 5 years later I still see the magic I hold in my sons eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment