Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Some final thoughts ........

........ Because of  my commitment to the US Government my education has taken a bit longer than I would have liked. The 10 year break in school was quite overwhelming and when I got back into school I felt like a fish out of water. You, my peers, were quite a bit younger than I was and for the most part had no real understanding of the life that I had led or where I had been. But I have to tell you all that the past two quarters, between Vince's and Sean's class, I have developed a major amount of respect and admiration for all of you. I enjoy some great new friendships, and as a father I feel real comfortable knowing that you are all going to be part of the education system, I have been amazed at the amount of the growth that I have witnessed not only in myself buy in each of you. It has been cool as all get out watching you become the teachers you were meant to be. 
We have but a short time left at EWU and for most of us next fall will be the final class we have together and that just seems kind of weird. This journey has taught me quite a bit about myself and has really helped erase some of the doubts that I had transitioning from the military to the classroom. I want to thank everyone for the encouragement and great feedback along the way.
Sean, dude you have a great gift as an educator. I love the fact that you really try and know your students and you try and minimize the gap that exists between student and professor. I have enjoyed talking to your class for the past two years and I hope to continue in the future. I know that your focus is English but you have so much to impart on future teachers I hope you continue with some of the education classes. 
Everyday I  become more and more excited regarding the possibility of one day having my own classroom where I can create an environment that will excite students and help them realize that subjects such as History, Government and Civics are not just boring facts but lessons that have helped shape the world as we know it today and every event that is occurring out there that we see on the news or on a blog somewhere may very well wind up being taught in a classroom someday and again be a major contributor to the how the world operates.
This summer I am again pushing the boundaries and trying to cram 18 credits down my throat with the hopes to finish up this English Minor that I thought was a great idea to add. I am also going to start the CTE (Career Tech) endorsement process in hopes that I can use some of the skills I learned in my years in the military and in private industry to help make me more marketable in this very competitive job market. 
I hope each and every one of you has a wonderful summer and I hope to see you around. I am always up for some Golf or going out and grabbing a beer, I look forward to next fall and seeing everyone in 420 and continuing on in this journey.

Have  a great summer all.

Sean 

No comments:

Post a Comment