Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Writer teaches writing first three chapters

So I am working on my English minor this summer and I am taking a course on English comp. Now I have some real fears about this course because I have always struggled with the composition process and with instructors trying to tell me how to write and what I write is not done properly or in the right format. So the text that we are using is called Writer Teaches Writing and I have to tell you what I have read so far has really opened my eyes and made me start taking a different view of writing. 
I love the opening line in the first chapter "It is time to give away the secret: teaching writing is fun."
For me, with all my apprehensions about my limits with writing, teaching it to high school students doesn't sound like a fun time, and I don't usually get anxiety. 
What I really liked about this book is that it really makes the reader feel ok  about having their own writing style and how important it is to allow students to develop their style. 
As the book moves into chapter two the author starts to break down the aspects of writing and it even provides a model of the writing process. It then breaks down each aspect of the writing process in a way that is easily understandable.
Chapter three starts out "The writer's moment of truth arrives when all the collecting and planning are completed and the writer faces the blank page" It really takes the process and preparation of the writer  and puts it into the development stage. It talks about the importance of preparing a draft, the art of revision and what it takes to edit your work. This process, this design puts the concept of writing in a much clearer light.
I am pleased with this book and feel that it is going to be a great guide for not only this class but as I move forward into a classroom.  I am looking forward to putting some of the ideas and techniques into my writing and seeing if I feel more comfortable with putting words down on paper and also with teaching students how to find their technique and become better more fluid writers.

No comments:

Post a Comment